Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2017

A recap of the year 2016

Jan - Year 3 sem 1 final exams.

Feb-June Last semester of my university studies. Taking the chance that it is our last semester, me and my coursemates bonded strongly over the course of these few months. Because we are like, is either now or never since this is the last lap before we depart our own ways into the working world. We grew very close to each other through those times and till now we are still in close contact. So much so I spent three consecutive weekends with them the past few weeks. And that we are able to have deep conversations about life till wee hours of early morning. Love them all.

July-Sept Spent most of the time around travelling. First was 40 days backpacking around Thailand and Laos. After that was 2 weeks in Australia. The biggest gain from travelling alone for long period of time is that I get to know myself much better. Realising few things in life, I became much focused after that. This is very important to me because the moment I finished my exams in June, I was pretty much clueless and aimless. As much as I thought I know myself, I got confused with myself again when I was given two very different job opportunities later on.

Oct-Dec Did an internship for fun (because I already graduated) in TalentCorp Malaysia. And it was indeed very fun.

So what do I exactly do for now in my work? I'm in the research department and our main research is to come up with the Malaysia's Critical Occupation List (COL). Similar to UK's Shortage Occupation List (SOL) and Australia's Skilled Occupation List (SOL), we would like to find out what are the occupations that is critical in Malaysia, and from there it can be as a reference for our immigration and education as we collaborate with all other government agency.

The list that we did for this year is already published online and can be found just by googling it. The online version just a very brief summary list for it, the full report are still in progress (I'm still writting part of the report now) and we would publish the hardcopy ones this month or next month. UK did their SOL list for the first time in 2007/2008, so comparatively we are still fairly new in this as 2016 is the second year the team does it (a pilot list was done in shorter amount of time the previous year).

As for 2017, we would expand our reasearch to semi skills occupations (currently just highly skilled occupations) and also to include more sectors. Agreement with World Bank is extended for another year for this. There are also areas of improvement for methodology to be even much more refined and robust. And starting from this year, we would also like to do an annual research publication report for other topic of interest. In the same time also we doing ad hoc research work for other dept.

So yep, that's basically what I do for work. I just signed my offer letter with TalentCorp few weeks ago. On the offer letter states a salary of which is approximately half of what the other job could offer me, trust me, is not an easy decision. I wasn't even emotionally stable after I signed it, but I think I have pretty much make peace with myself since then. I love my job a lot, so much so I love weekdays more than weekends, and if i were to use one word to desribe my work, is EXCITING.

Cheers to 2017! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment